Thursday 1 November 2012

Muslin: Lonsdale Dress

Sewaholic's Lonsdale dress has been on my 'to do' list for a while and when I discovered A Fashionable Stitch was having a big sale, it seemed like no better time than to buy the pattern (and a few many other bits and pieces).

I started with a muslin just to check sizing round the chest region. Lucky, because there are a few bits and pieces I need to change. First up, I used this wonderful fitting post to help me, and had to make almost the same changes.

The front.

First the tiny bit of bust gaping around the top. I think this is the same adjustment I would have needed to make with the Tiki dress, if only I'd recognised it at the time. I also appear to have an incredibly short waist because I'm seriously removing like an inch from the front and back waist - is that normal?

From previous dresses, I've noticed my upper body seems to be quite short and my legs long.

I also had to remove a chuck from the centre front - I'm not really sure if this is right though?

The back. Yeah, I kinda take short cuts sometimes on muslins.

What do you think? Do you always have to take the waist up? Am I making the right adjustments?

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go with this - I've seen so many lovely versions and I would love to make it - I'm just not convinced it would suit my shape... alas!
    I have a long torso so I find that things often feel too short with me. I found the Minoru jacket waist was way too high and now my nine-year-old daughter is wearing it... her father is tall and it appears I will be a short mother in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going by your aprons I reckon it it would suit you! It's a really lovely design and I'm looking forward to making it. Unfortunately it's been slightly delayed by a house move so it's packed up and ready to get into again once we're settled!

    ReplyDelete